The second NICE seminar in Turku had focus on insects throughout the food chain.
Insect industry, along with its applications as animal feed and human food is currently developing fast all over the Nordics. The event in Turky (Finland), on the 29th August 2017, has got together nearly 100 stakeholders from academics to entrepreneurs to share their latest development in the field. While some differences among the countries are obvious, it is visible that the growing insect economy is an attractive solution in building more sustainable food systems. Coupled with pricniples of the circular conomy, it also beats opportunities along the whole food chain.
NICE is a network of stakeholders within the insect industry in Nordic countries, funded by the Norwegian Research Council. The network will organize five seminars over a period of three years, which will take place in Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland.
Outputs from the seminar:
- Insect economy in the Nordics-status updates of NICE network partners in Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway
- Up-scaling the treatment of food waste with insects– Cecilia Lalander, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Global differences in insect regulation: the background and the impacts– Anu Lähteenmäki-Uutela, University of Turku
- Sustainable food systems with circular economy– Hanna Mattila, The Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
Insects in foods:
- Can I have a fly in my soup, please? Results from a cross-cultural consumer study- Terbi Pobjanbeimo, University of Turku
- Insect products: design and marketing– Saara-Maria Kauppi, Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- The EU novel food legislation and insect foods– Leena Mannonen, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
- Insects as novel food ingredient– Anne Louise Nielsen, Danish Technology Institute
- Finnish food industry expectations for insect ingredients– Jaakko Korpela, University of Turku
Insects in animal feeds:
- Insect meal in salmon feed, results of the feeding trial- Susanna Airaksinen, RaisioAgro Ltd.
- Insects in fish feeding– Erik-Jan Lock, NIFES & NMBU Norway
- Mealworm meal in broiler chicken feeding-results of the feeding trial and the effects to the meat quality- Petra Tuunainen, Natural Resources Institute of Finland
- Legislation concerning insects as animal feed– Tarja Root, EVIRA Finnish Food Safety Authority
- Bio-industry side streams for insect feeding– Pertti Marnila, Natural Resources Institute of Finland